Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Words I Hate

Well, not really so much words, as phrases.

On a flow basis

This is the latest bit of corporate speak to circulate around my office. What does this mean? Stringing random words together is not insightful, folks.

Full Time Mom

This one makes me want jam a stick into the eye of the speaker. Really? Full time mom? So I guess that makes me a part time mom? I assure you mothering does not come with full and part time labor breakdowns. I’m a mom all day long. I don’t have a nanny or housekeeper. Kids don’t come in the less needy part time models. I still have doctor’s appointments and sports practice and school plays and all the same crap your kids have. You know what else I have, in addition to all the crap you have? A full time JOB.

Values Voter

Why is this always applied to the Christian Right? Isn’t wanting everyone to have the same basic human rights a value? The right to marry and love who ever you want, the right to healthcare, the right to an equal and adequate education? Aren’t those values?

Words are powerful. Language is meaningful. Be conscious of the words you use.

To quote Orwell …

“In our time, political speech and writing are largely the defense of the indefensible. Things like the continuance of British rule in India, the Russian purges and deportations, the dropping of the atom bombs on Japan, can indeed be defended, but only by arguments which are too brutal for most people to face, and which do not square with the professed aims of the political parties. Thus political language has to consist largely of euphemism, question-begging and sheer cloudy vagueness.”

Pay attention folks. Listen not just to the words people use, but the implication. Think it through.

No comments: