Friday, March 20, 2009

Janus Only with Better Hair


So I find myself in a place where I am at once both looking backward and forward. As always my twin, the other half of myself is thinking the same thing. We really do share a brain.


My kid turned 12 a few months ago. I don't know how many of you remember being 12, but it's sort of a no man's land. You're not a little kid anymore, but you're not yet a teenager ready for independence. We've had some stumbles as a family lately trying to work out what the right balance of independence and parental control are. It's a fascinating experience to be on this side of the pre-teen/teen transition.


And it's got me thinking of my own self at that age. Me and the kid have had talks about what's going on in school socially. And his experience is eerily similar. So, I'm pondering if I should tell him what he's in store for.

Basically, it's gonna suck ass for the next few years. You're way more mature than your peers, and it's going to be that way at least until college. You'll make some really good friends. But, it's going to take you some time to grow into yourself and find a way of belonging. The good news is that there are bunch of folks going through the same thing. And after you guys figure yourselves out, you'll find each other. And I can assure you will grow into a wonderfully rich life full of smart, sophisticated, funny people who totally get you . And the good news is, you're going to be old a lot longer than you're going to be young. Even though it doesn't seem that way from your vantage point right now.

No comments: